Due to demand Tai Woffinden is now to do an EXTRA SHOW at Workington earlier the same day!
  Find us on Facebook
  Follow us on Twitter
Cumberland Open Championship Postponed
Photo by Dave Payne
Mon 19 Aug 2013 by Comets Press Office
Cumberland Open Championship Postponed due to lack of available riders!
Workington Speedway have reluctantly had to postpone their plans to stage the Cumberland Open Championship at Derwent Park on what had previously been a blank date in their calendar, Saturday 31st August; owing to a lack of available riders for the 16-rider, 20 race event.

It had been the intention to assemble a top class field for the meeting, which it is hoped to establish once again as a permanent feature within the Comets fixture list. However, since the date was first mooted as an opportunity to stage this individual meeting, various other fixtures have been allocated to that date as clubs rightly try to ensure they get their league matches raced before the Premier League cut-off date, while various other circumstances have prevented some riders from being available to take part.

The plan is now to stage the meeting later in the season, while the Safety Fence Fund Raising ‘Fun Day' planned for that date will now go back by two weeks to a new date of Saturday 14th September – the day of the re-staged Great Britain v Australia Test Match.

Club owner Laura Morgan said: “We always said that we wanted to have as good a quality field as we could possibly get for this event, however with seven clubs now riding on that date, plus riders from some of the remaining clubs also riding as guests in those matches, it became impossible to assemble a 16-rider field that would do the meeting justice.

“We certainly did not want to just simply fill the sixteen places and run the meeting anyway, as that is not fair to the supporters, who we know were very much looking forward to the meeting; as indeed were we.

"The plan is to now run the meeting before the end of the season, although the exact date is clearly dependent upon qualification for the play-offs and, if we do qualify, what happens then. This does unfortunately mean that we now have no meeting at Derwent Park on Saturday 31st August.”
Copyright Notice :  The text content of articles appearing on this website may be copied and/or reproduced for other media outlets and formats providing the article remains intact and unedited, and the source is clearly acknowledged as "www.workingtoncomets.co"
Last Updated :  Mon 19 Aug 2013, 22:20 UK
www.workingtoncomets.co - official club website.
©2019 Workington Speedway. All Rights Reserved.

Dave Payne, Adrian Randall