Looking to Berwick - but without Josh
Photo by Dave PayneThu 05 Jun 2014
All eyes will be focused on Berwick's Shielfield Park on Saturday when they stage the Grand Prix Qualifying round - but unfortunately Josh won't be able to compete.
The Comets number one, Josh Grajczonek. has now withdrawn from the GP Qualifying meeting at Berwick this coming Saturday evening (7:00pm start) as a result of the facial injuries he suffered last weekend, and his place will be taken by fellow Australian Ty Proctor.
Meanwhile Craig Cook has his sights firmly set on progression in the World Championship when he competes in Saturday's Grand Prix Qualifier at Berwick.
The West Cumbrian-born Belle Vue and Edinburgh star is one of two British riders in the line-up, and whilst Chris Harris has extensive GP experience Cook is aiming to reach the sport's pinnacle for the first time.
He said: “Obviously you talk about aiming high, and it's all about wanting to progress. I want to progress onto the next level, and making it to the Grand Prix would be the next step for me.
“It's a meeting I'm desperate to do well in, and I've got a few things to iron out. I'm confident that if I hit the front there I'll have the speed, so if I can make five starts then hopefully I'll make it through to the next round.”
Additionally, current Grand Prix rider Chris Harris is looking to retain his place in the series for 2015. Should the Cook or Harris qualify from the Shielfield Park event, they will be just one meeting away from the Grand Prix Challenge which this year takes place at Italian venue Lonigo - as it did in 1999 when Stoney created history by becoming the first, and only, Premier League rider to qualify for the Grand Prix.
Berwick will also welcome Poole's Polish duo Przemyslaw Pawlicki and Maciej Janowski , and the line-up also includes top Danes Hans Andersen and Kenneth Bjerre, whilst Czech Republic rider Matej Kus will compete on his home circuit.
Former Rye House and Peterborough star Linus Sundstrom is also included along with Leicester Aussie number one Jason Doyle.
Berwick have confirmed special arrangements have been put in place for the event, with turnstiles open from 5pm ahead of the start of the meeting at 7pm. There will be additional catering and sales-points installed around the stadium.
It has also been confirmed that the public will be permitted access to official practice earlier in the day. Doors will be open from 11.45am until 2pm, with the riders on-track for one hour from 12.30.
Berwick bosses are delighted to have stepped in to stage the event after problems with the previous venue in Austria, and they expect it to provide a major boost to the local area too.
Director George Hepburn said: “Last season when we staged the World U-21 Final there were visitors here from Latvia, the Czech Republic, Denmark and, notably, Poland.
“Local businesses, hotels and the like reported a really impressive boom in business over that weekend, and with eleven nations to be represented here on June 7, an even greater influx of visitors has to be expected this time around.”
LINE-UP: 1. Chris Harris (GB), 2. Jason Doyle (Australia), 3. Mathieu Tressarrieu (France), 4. Roland Benko (Hungary), 5. Tobias Kroner (Germany), 6. Kenneth Bjerre (Denmark), 7. Ty Proctor (ustralia), 8. Maciej Janowski (Poland), 9. Linus Sundstrom (Sweden), 10. Tomas Suchanek (Czech Republic), 11. Matej Kus (Czech Republic), 12. Hans Andersen (Denmark), 13. Daniel Garrmaier (Austria), 14. Przemyslaw Pawlicki (Poland), 15. Theo Pijper (France), 16. Craig Cook (GB). Reserves: 17. Richard Lawson (GB) 18. Lewis Bridger (GB).
Copyright Notice : The text content of articles appearing on this website may be copied and/or reproduced for other media outlets and formats providing the article remains intact and unedited, and the source is clearly acknowledged as "www.workingtoncomets.co"
Last Updated : Thu 05 Jun 2014, 22:35 UK