Comets v Lakeside meeting will NOT go ahead tonight (Monday) stay tuned for details!
  Find us on Facebook
  Follow us on Twitter
Comets 55 Sheffield 37 match report!
Photo by Dave Payne
Sat 28 May 2016 by Comets Press Office
The Comets produced arguably their best performance of the season so far to comfortably defeat an in-form Sheffield side by a 55-37 score-line at Derwent Park in an entertaining clash.
After a hectic two days on the road where they had travelled all the way to Plymouth and back, and coming on the back of a disappointing night at Plymouth last night, the side bounced back in tremendous fashion at Derwent Park tonight.

Such was the Comets dominance that they had the match won by heat 12, produced 11 race winners and only had five last places. Meanwhile the Tigers had to wait until heat 12 for their first heat advantage!

Top scorer for the Comets was Claus Vissing, whose 13 point haul included an excellent win over the all-action Tiger, Jason Garrity in a pulsating heat 15 (see photo above) when, after passing Ricky Wells on lap two the Sheffield-man chased Claus hard all the way to the chequered flag.

The meeting got underway with a shared opening heat, after which the Comets took maximum heat advantages in heats 2 and 3 to get an early grip on the match.

But in heat 5 it seemed as if the Tigers were going to fight back as Dimitri Berge and Simon Stead looked set for a 5-1. However a spectacular ride by Kenneth Hansen changed that as he went under Stead on lap two before chasing and rounding Berge as they exited turn two on the last lap to take the race win. That must surely be a contender for race of the season at Derwent Park?

Sheffield team manager Marc Bates gave Kyle Howarth a tactical ride in heat 6 but he never really threatened early race leader Ricky and he had to settle for second place and just two additional points, and with Rasmus Jensen in third place it was a shared heat (4-4) and made no inroads into the Comets ten-point lead.

The Comets registered their third 5-1 of the night in heat 8, which saw Matt Williamson lead from tape to flag while Rasmus pressured second placed Berge, who locked up as he exited turn two for the third time, allowing Rasmus to nip through on the inside and follow Matt home.

For the second time in the meeting the Comets recorded a second successive 5-1 when Mason Campton and Kenneth took maximum points from heat 9, although a special mention must go to Kenneth for how he pegged Howarth back into third place after passing and re-passing him before securing second place and team-riding Mason home for a 5-1.

The stand-out performer for the Tigers, despite arriving with just five minutes to spare after suffering a breakdown when stuck in heavy traffic on the M6, was Jason Garrity, who registered three of the Tigers four race-wins.

Having suffered a burnt out clutch in his first ride (heat 3), Garrity won heat 7 by some distance and raced to a second spectacular race win in the last race before the interval, heat 10.

Heat 11 was 'stopped in the interests of safety' in unusual circumstances and awarded with Claus declared the winner after the red lights were switched on during lap three because a chain guard had come off a machine and was lying on the racing line.

Garrity raced to his third race win of the night in heat 12 when, with Arthur Sissis holding third place over a seemingly slowing Matt, the Tigers gained their first heat advantage of the night.

The Tigers then secured a second successive heat advantage in heat 13 as Stead led from the gate while Claus drove under Howarth as they exited turn two for the third time to move into second place.

Howarth was back out again in heat 14 as a rider replacement for the injured Josh Bates but it was Mason that made the gate and rode an excellent race to block every attack made by the former Comet and take the chequered flag, while third place for Adam gave the Comets a heat advantage.

The Comets had choice of gates for heat 15 and selected gates 1 and 3, with Ricky going from gate 1 and Claus from gate 3, up against Garrity from gate 2 and Stead out of gate 4.

When the tapes rose it was the Comets pairing that hit the front however Garrity ensured it didn't stay that way when after passing Ricky early on lap two he set after Claus, and made a big inside dive as they entered turn one for the third time but Claus held firm and kept his lead right to the chequered flag.


Claus Vissing 13, Kenneth Hansen 10+1, Ricky Wells 9, Mason Campton 8+1, Matt Williamson 6+1, Adam Roynon 5+1, Rasmus Jensen 4+2.

Jason Garrity 11, Kyle Howarth 10, Simon Stead 7+2, Dimitri Berge 6+1, Arthur Sissis 3, Nathan Greaves 0, R/R for injured Josh Bates.

Referee: Stuart Wilson
Copyright Notice :  The text content of articles appearing on this website may be copied and/or reproduced for other media outlets and formats providing the article remains intact and unedited, and the source is clearly acknowledged as ""
Last Updated :  Sun 29 May 2016, 13:48 UK - official club website.
©2018 Workington Speedway. All Rights Reserved.

Dave Payne, Adrian Randall